I am that kinda Mom ... the one that is making homemade Valentine's Day cards, I own a 'butterfly' cupcake pan and I make sure we have the perfect thing for 'show & tell' every Friday!
I like being 'that Mom'. I am a bit obsessive (OK - ALOT) ... I plan 2-year old's birthday party like it is the Oscars. I have a spredsheet for the event ... the invitations, the cake, the lootbags and the activity ... we have a debrief after and make suggestions for the next year!
I love doing little things with my daughter ... I couldn't wait to enroll her in dance, swimming and arts classes.
I took her to Gymboree when she 3-months old and she lay there like a little bump on a log ... other Moms gave other Moms 'the look' ... you know the look 'She's a new Mom; she doesn't get it yet.'
But I do get it ... more than they know ... you see I have always wanted to be a Mom.
I expect a lot of it has to do with the kinda Mom I have ... she was sent straight from Heaven. She is kind, sensitive, and beautiful. My Mom made being a Mom look easy (BTW -- it isn't easy!!!).
Although she is angelic ... she drives me crazy! 'Samantha Lee - put on your lipstick, you're pale' ... 'Do something with your hair!' ... 'You are not wearing that sweater are you?' ...
I know her intentions are good ... she's a Mom ... it is what she does, it's her gig!
And I am starting to understand more and more as my wee one gets older. You want the best for yor kids. You will do anything for your child. You want to provide the best possible opportunities ... so you say stuff and do stuff to show them that you care.
I have started to appreciate those 'little' things when I was a kid now more than ever ... the 'seasonal napkins' in my lunch kit (hearts, shamrocks and pumpkins). I remember driving me all over Hell's Half Acre to find beads to make friendships pins and taking me to see 'Donnie and Marie' at the SuperEx (at the concert a police officer was running after a bad guy and ran over my Mom instead ... but that's another story ... and no the bad guy was not Donnie).
I realize more and more that the 'little' things that we do for our kids are nothing if we don't do the 'big' things ... and because my Mom made the 'big' things look easy ... I did not realize how challenging it is to be a Mom -- the title carries alot of responsibilty.
Because once the craft supplies, the baking stuff and the show and tell is done ... it is the strong foundation of unconditional support and love is all that matters. And you only see the big things in all of the little things when you are ready to look ... yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment