I went to Cuba by myself in 1998. I had called off an engagement and decided I needed to get away ... I wanted some time to think, re-evaluate and sit in the sun!
It was a coming of age trip. Independence and moving on combined with a dash of Cuban men.
I stayed in a gorgeous hotel with disgusting food. Every ounce of food was white and gross ... it was the only time on vacation that I lost weight! The towel shaped animals on my bed every night started to look appetizing!
By day 5 of my 8 day adventure I was so hungry I would have nibbled on a bar of soap. I heard there was a store 'in town' that sold North American snacks! So I hailed a cab ... which ended up to be a horse and buggy and we were on our way ... slowly, but on the way. Clip-clop ... clip-clop I found the store and proceeded to pay $35 for five Halloween sized bags of Humpty Dumpty BBQ potato chips. The 'horse and buggy' was $25 roundtrip ... I spent $60US on these chips! I devoured each one -- they were the best stale chips ever. I should have bought some for the horse too -- he looked like he could use 'em.
I sat by the pool for three days ... didn't talk to anyone ... it was glorious! On day 4, a guy said to me ... "I bet you are Canadian" ... I said "Yes, how did you know ...??" He replied ... "You are the only woman with your top on!"
Which was true ... there were a lot of women and men who should have worn more to the beach than what their Mama gave them!!! The elderly German women by the pool would have been benefited from a little more bathing suit and a little less of schnitzel!
I decided to get a massage ... well let me tell you ... that was an experience! First of all ... it was $10US ... which should have been a sign! A female massage therapist with a cigarette (the ashes dangling from the end) came in and said "Get undressed ..." It was all downhill from there ...
The last night in Cuba -- I got all dressed up to have a nice dinner by the pool ... I walked down to the pool area to discover I was the only person in the whole restaurant!!! And then I made the mistake of ordering lobster ... don't ever order lobster in Cuba! Cats ... and I mean cats came out from everywhere, dozens of them ... then the five-piece wandering band struck up a seranade to me ... so picture it ... Sam at a table for one, five Cuban musicians, an untouched lobster dinner and dozens of felines! At one point I started to laugh so hard I could not breath ...
I often think of that trip ... and remember that Girl. Full of hope and scared to bits ... reminds me of another Girl I know. Yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment