Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What NOT to Expect - the Toddler Years

My little one is becoming very independent and as much as I love it ... it drives me nuts!

"No coat Mommy", "Pink coat ... no purple coat" ... "Avery put on boots ... Mommy help".

"Rush teet, potty now, wash hands with Elmo soap ... Mommy no help ... Mommy help ... no Daddy help".

She is strong-willed and very determined to do stuff on her own yet, at 27 months that is limited ... it stretches our love when the little ones become increasingly independent.  Becoming their own little person!

It stretches our patience and then the books come out "What to Expect .. the Toodler Years" ... which I think would have been better titled "What NOT to expect" ... more of a fitting title.  "Who's in Charge?" and "The twos don't have to be terrible" ...

I know her independence is a good thing ... really I do ... I let her choose her jammies and the other night she marched right up to me and said "Monkey PJS for Avery".  I like the fact that she is making decisions and she is extremely tenacious!  I need to breath deep and count to 10 ... OK ... 20!  And realize that I am blessed to be raising a strong girl ... who is kind and loving ... and VERY funny!

I have had to let go of alot of my Before I was a Mom baggage.  I have had to let go of the small stuff and resist the temptation to say "She dressed herself" to people at the grocery store.

Before I was a Mom ... my rule ... no soother past 18 months ... did I mention she is 27 months and still uses one! 

Before I was a Mom ... lavender and apple green snowsuit, mittens (waterproof and fleece), neck warmer, boots and hat to match ... now if she gets out the door in a red coat, pink boots (on the wrong feet), green hat, yellow mittens ... we are good to go! 

Before I was a Mom ... every meal was going to incorporate the five food groups and make Martha Stewart crazy with envy ... now ... whenever the doorbell rings Avery dances around rubbing her tummy singing "pizza, pizza ... Avery eating pizza" ... even if it is the Gas Meter Guy, the neighbour to borrow sugar or a political candidate!  I think Bob Chiarelli felt bad he didn't have pizza to deliver! 

I marvel and have a huge amount of respect for parents that have twins, triplets ... lots of kids ... I tip my hat and bow ...

I love my kid -- as I say to her every night "I love you to the moon, the sun and back times ten" ... and she often is my teacher.  Teaching me to become more patient, more tolerant and more relaxed.

Because one moment she is excerting her independence and the next moment she is my little baby again ... looking for cuddles, kisses and a soft place to land. 

At the end of the day ... we look in at our sleeping baby and our hearts burst with happiness at how our little girl is growing up ... yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah. 

3 comments:

  1. LOL and tearing up all at the same time. Mine are now 6 and 4 and some of that continues and some is just a memory in my house. I did one time send my monkey to nursery school with a tag on that said "I dressed myself today" the outfit that he had chosen being just that terrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entry spoke to me. How I can relate! We dream big dreams in the pre-mommy days and then reality sinks in and suddenly standards aren't so high. But pizza in there bellies and soothers in their mouths are little petty things to worry about when we look at the big picture - we are fortunate enough to have healthy, happy, loving and loved little babies. And so yes, at the end of the night when I look at my sleeping baby I think about how blessed I am for my little pizza eating, tantrum throwing, miss-matched cutie patutie. And I'm also thankful that daycare feeds him better than I do! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saje and Amanda ... thanks for the feedback! What would I do without other Moms?!! I would go bananas!!

    ReplyDelete