Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thanks Ma'am ...

It started about 5 years ago innocently enough ... I would be in a video store check-out or at the gas station or at the grocery store and some snotty-nosed, pimple head would say "Thanks Ma'am". 

I laughed the first few times thinking ... obviously he says that to everyone and he did not notice who I AM!  I would look behind me thinking 'There is no 'blanking' way on earth that he is talking to me!'

I am not a Ma'am ... (insert stomping feet and waving hands here) ... I AM NOT a Ma'am.  I cannot be ... not yet!  I am not ready to be a Ma'am ... I still listen to loud music, I sometimes eat ice cream for dinner, I am up on the lastest celebrity gossip and I know who the Jonas Brothers are ... I AM NOT a Ma'am!

Although I do find myself doing what I vowed I would never do ... the whole "when I was your age ... I walked to school for ten miles uphill ... both ways". 

I am doing it ... I asked a twerp at the drug store if he had ever heard of a 'music record and a 45' before ... and I added 'we had to put a little circle in the middle of the 45'! 

I mentioned Red Skeleton to a younger friend recently and the blank stare concerned me. 

We only had two TV stations growing up ... CBC and the other one.  If the Billy Graham Crusade was on ... you watched it ... or you watched Pierre Burton and Barbara Frum ... or you actually went outside and got cold and dirty and no one stole you!  No one wanted you! 

Am I turning into that woman?!  The grumpy one ... who dreams of other times? 

Tonight a perky Shopper's Drug Mart clerk  ... "Ma'am would you like a free sample" ... my thought at the time ... how sweet, now there's a nice young lady. 

Until I got home ... it's 'bleeping' anti-wrinkle cream.

Ma'am is about to apply anti-wrinkle cream and stare into mirror until results appear ... yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment